CHINA: THE ORIENT & THE YELLOW MAN, by Henry Davenport - 1900$50.00
China; The Orient and The Yellow Man
by Henry Davenport Northrop
From the early history of the Celestial Empire and the first emperor, to the beginning of the twentieth century, and the conflicts with the West and with Japan, here is a complete history of China in a chronology which encompasses all the most crucial moments in the development of the country. Not only key events, together with their date and context, but also the customs of the people, the industry, the natural scenery, are accurately described and explained for the most complete global and precise outlook on the subject. Magnificently illustrated and richly narrated, filled with captivating details for every event which marked History, this book is a gem of knowledge and discovery for anyone interested in the plight of this fascinating nation, where conflict and turmoil are such a trademark of its exotism. 420 pages. 7.25 x 10 inches.
Splendidly illustrated. Exhaustive and detailed chronology. Gift presentation page, detached inside.
Assumed first edition. Published by: George W. Bertron, Washington, D.C., 1900.
Hardback is overall in GOOD condition.
- Volume is in overall good condition with overall toning and darkening on covers and some detached signatures with moderate toning inside.
- Color covers feature handsome illustration and text in gilt on front.
- Boards show some pronounced wear from overall darkening and soiling with marks on back.
- Corners are rubbed with exposed boards, and minimal rubbing to edges.
- Spine also features text in gilt and color illustration, and displays overall darkening alike to that on covers, with a small scrape on center right.
- Spine ends exhibit pronounced softening with some rubbing and chips.
- Binding is fragile mostly towards front hinge, with first signatures detached. (See photos)
- Endpapers featuring color decoration show discreet toning, and are otherwise in well-preserved condition.
- Detached gift presentation page inside, before title page.
- Interior is gently age-toned, with mild occasional stains in margin.
- Inside pages are free of writing and intentional marks.
- First and last pages are of different stock than center of book, and show severe edgewear with tears and chips. (See photos)
- Textblock edges have faded marble decoration, and are dusty and strongly scuffed. (See photos)
- Book may exhibit additional minor signs of age or wear.
AS IS! Please see photos. More photos available upon request.
International first class shipping includes a handling charge to cover insurance.
Domestic orders over $250 include a handling charge to cover signature confirmation.
#panoplybooks #rarebooks #bookboutique #collectiblebooks #antiquebooks #vintagebooks #bookstore